What comes to mind when you hear the words, "Russian Circles"?
- Crop circles found in the Krasnodar region that may have been made by aliens?
- The upper echelons of the Bratva ie. the Russian mob?
- Being under surveillance by the KGB?
- An ice hockey practice drill?
- An overwhelmingly loud post-rock three-piece out of Chicago named after an ice hockey practice drill?
If the last two thoughts were bouncing around in your cranium, give yourself a lollipop!
The group formed in the early Aughts, and in the struggle to come with a band handle (bandle?) before their first show, guitarist Mike Sullivan and drummer Dave Turncrantz remembered a drill they did during high school hockey practice. The drill was introduced to the world by the 1980 Soviet hockey team.
The band's aim is to create sonic environments that envelop the listener - much like Mogwai, but a tad more aggressive.
Long story short... if you like epic, face-melting instrumental rock with your Iron Curtain hockey trivia, PLEASE go see them.
The officially unofficial blog of Faux Rawk. Everything you read is true, although some of what you read is 100% false. Whoa... trippy, man.